Below is a list compiled by some rescues/shelters
that are 100 ways you can help!Can you...
- Help the foster clean up the yard (yes, we also have to scoop what those foster
- Donate MONEY?
- Donate a gift certificate to a pet store?
- Donate a gift card to
Poplar Animal Hospital (704-795-7200) to help offset veterinary costs.
- Offer to take a money
jar for the rescue and put it in your work lunchroom or on your desk (Pennies for Puppies)?
- Donate flea prevention (Frontline, Advantage, Revolution,
- Donate heartworm
pills (Heartgard, Sentinel)?
a metal food dish or a stainless bucket for water?
- Donate some treats?
some homemade doggie biscuits?
a bag of Science Diet puppy food?
a bag of Science Diet dog food?
printer paper? (any color or white)
- Donate envelopes and stamps?
- Donate a Kong chew toy?
- Donate a nylabone chew toy?
- Donate a hercules chew toy?
- Donate other types of doggy toys that might be safe for rescued dogs?
- Donate a crate? (metal or plastic)
- Donate an x-pen or
other type of puppy pen?
- Donate a baby gate?
- Donate a Pack-n-Play
you no longer need for your baby?
- Buy two of those really neat dog-items you "have to have" and
donate one to Rescue?
- Teach a puppy to
walk on a leash?
- Donate a collar?
- Walk a dog?
- Groom a dog?
- Donate a canine first aid kit?
- Walk the dogs owned by the rescue group?
- Donate sheets of linoleum, ceramic tile or other flooring materials
to protect the rescues floor?
- Donate time to take
good photos of foster dogs for flyers, web page etc.?
- Talk to all your friends about adopting and fostering rescue dogs?
- Donate vet services or can you help by donating spay or neuter each year or some
- Write a column for
your local newspaper or club newsletter on dogs currently looking for homes or ways to help rescue?
- Take photos of dogs available for adoption for use by the rescue?
- Help organize and run fundraising events?
- Help maintain the paperwork
files associated with each dog or enter the information into a database?
- Microchip a rescued
- Loan your carpet
steam cleaner to someone who has fostered a dog that was sick or went potty in the house?
- Remember that rescuing a dog involves the effort and time of many people
and make yourself available on an emergency basis to do *whatever* is needed?
- Clean carpets at the rescue?
- Donate a bottle of bleach?
- Donate cleaning products?
- Pay the cost of taking a dog to obedience class?
- Be the one to take the dog to its obedience classes?
- Bring the foster take out so the foster doesn't have to cook dinner?
- Pay a house-cleaning
service to do the spring cleaning for someone who fosters dogs all the time?
- Donate or loan a portable dog run to someone who doesn't have a quarantine area
for quarantining a dog that has an unknown vaccination history and has been in a shelter?
- Pay for the dog to be groomed?
- Take the dog to a *Do It Yourself* Grooming Place?
- Donate services if you run your own business?
- Donate the use of a vehicle if you own a car dealership?
- Donate a grid for a van or other vehicle?
- Organize a rescued dog
picnic or other event to reunite the rescued dogs that have been placed?
- Go to the foster home once a week with your children and dogs to help socialize
- Donate a roll-a-treat
or Buster cube?
- Donate clickers or
a video on clicker training?
an engraving tool to make ID tags for each of the rescued dogs?
- Make ID tags for the rescue to use for their dogs?
- Offer to give out flyers or pamphlets on the foster dogs or the rescue
- Give the rescue a
- Talk to dog trainers
in your area about helping the rescue assess rescue dogs?
- Sponsor the gas, ferry expense or both for the transport of a rescue dog?
- Attend public education days and try to educate people
on responsible pet ownership?
a dog bed or towels or other *bedding* type items?
- Gently-used dog equipment (always welcomed)
- Donate some grooming supplies (shampoos, combs, brushes, etc.)?
- Mail out applications to people who've requested them?
- Drive a dog to and from vet appointments?
- Donate the use of your scanner or digital camera?
- Donate the use of a photocopier?
- Donate materials for a quarantine area at a foster's home?
- Provide a shoulder to cry on when the
rescue person is overwhelmed?
a Santi-paws foster to give the foster a break for a few hours or days?
- Make book purchases through Amazon via a web site that contributes commissions
earned to a rescue group?
rescue photos with an information link on your website?
- Go with rescue person to the vet to help if there is more than one dog?
- Have a yard sale and donate the money to rescue?
- Take advantage of a promotion on the web or store offering a free ID
tag and instead of getting it for your own dog, have the tag inscribed with your rescues name and phone # to contact?
- Go with a rescue person to the vet if
a foster dog needs to be euthanized?
- Go to local businesses and solicit donations for a club's fundraising event?
- Offer to try and help owners be better pet owners by holding a grooming
- Help pet owners be
better pet owners by being available to answer training questions?
- Put together an *Owner's Manual* for those who adopt rescued dogs of your breed?
- Provide post-adoption follow up or support?
- Donate a coupon for a
free car wash or gas or inside cleaning of a vehicle?
- Pay for an ad in your local/metropolitan paper to help place rescue dogs?
- Get some friends together to build/repair pens for a foster home?
- Microchip your own pups if you are a
breeder, and register the chips, so if your dogs ever come into rescue, you can be contacted to take responsibility for your
- Make financial arrangements
in your will to cover the cost of caring for your dogs after you are gone - so Rescue won't have to?
- Make a bequest in your will to your local or national Rescue?
- Donate your professional services as
an accountant or lawyer?
your cell phone (and cover costs for any calls) to s/one driving a rescued dog?
- Donate your *used* dog dryer when you get a new one?
- Donate a doggy seatbelt?
- Use your video camera to film a rescue dog in action?
- Lend your artistic talents to your club's newsletter, fundraising ideas,
- Do something not
listed above to help rescue?